GOSHEN, Ind. – The Goshen College men's tennis team won its third-straight, defeating visiting Trine University 7-2 Wednesday night.
"We played some nice tennis on our way to this win," 14th-year head coach Stan King explained. "Our doubles play was aggressive, taking control at the net and putting away winners. It led to a nice 3-0 team score advantage going into singles."
In singles, Balazs Pirot (No. 2) and Krishnan Ganesan (No. 5) made faily quick work of their opponents dropping just five games combined to clinch the team match.
The only two matches the Leafs dropped on the night came in third-set supertiebreakers. Despite losing those two, Goshen did come out on the victorious end of another one when Csaba Laszlo won his No. 1 singles match 6-3, 2-6, 10-6 for his sixth-straight victory and 66th career (singles and doubles combined) to enter the program's top 10 all-time in victories.
"All in all, I thought we played well as a team against a competitive Trine team," King added. "Our doubles play was especially gratifying."
In addition to the varsity competition, the teams played a complete junior varsity match with Trine winning out 5-4. The Maple Leafs play was highlighted by Seth Krabill and Adam Weaver who combined for three points. Krabill won the No. 1 singles match 8-2, Weaver was victorious 8-3 at No. 2, and the duo paired for an 8-6 win in the top doubles match.
"I was glad to see so many of our guys who don't get into varsity matches have a chance to compete in a match of their own," King said. "I thought we played hard and gave it our best."
Goshen (5-6) will be back in action when they play in the Valparaiso University Tournament over the weekend.
Results: Goshen 7, Trine 2
1. Laszlo/Pirot (G) def Kunst/Desper 8-2
2. Kaasa/Buschert (G) def Danbar/Richardson 8-0
3. Ganesan/Palanisamy (G) def Derby/Tony Waltermann 8-1
1. Csaba Laszlo (G) Caleb Knust 6-3, 2-6, 10-6
2. Balazs Pirot (G) def Joe Dunbar 6-2, 6-2
3. Dan Desper (T) def Jon Kaasa 6-7(7-9), 7-5, 10-7
4. Krishnan Ganesan (G) def Joe Clark 6-1, 6-0
5. Vasanth Palanisamy (G) def Trevor Derby 6-1, 6-1
6. Zach Richardson (T) def Daniel Buschert 5-7, 6-4, 11-9
Trine 5, Goshen 4
- Krabill/Weaver (G) def Joe Clark/Richman 8-6
- Loucks/Beck (G) def Wolf/Willmann 9-8(5)
- Steele/Manges (T) def Nunez/Corey Roth 9-8(3)
- Seth Krabill (G) def Adam Steele 8-2
- Adam Weaver (G) def Ryan Richman 8-3
- Ryan Willmann (T) def Austin Loucks 8-5
- Tony Wattermann (T) def Jackson Beck 8-1
- Darrin Wolf (T) def Armando Nunez 8-3
- Thomas Manges (T) def Alex long 8-5