GOSHEN, Ind. – The Goshen College women's tennis team pulled out wins at No. 5 singles and No. 3 doubles, but could not win enough to earn its first team victory of the season, falling 7-2 to visiting Trine University Wednesday night.
The Maple Leafs lone singles victory came from junior Maddie Ruth, who out lasted Kaylynne Goeglein 5-7, 6-1, 6-1. The only doubles win was when senior Lauren Stoltzfus and sophomore Corine Alvarez teamed for an 8-2 victory at No. 3.
"Lauren and Corine dominated at No. 3 doubles," head coach Doug Gossman said. "Maddie came from behind and Rebekah Steiner (No. 6 singles) lost a heart-breaking match in a super tiebreaker. She served for the first set twice, but ended up losing in a tiebreaker. Anika Baumgartner also lost a tough battle with rallies lasting 30-40 hits."
Goshen (0-11) will be back on the courts on Monday when they travel to Anderson University.
Trine 7, Goshen 2
1. Jessica Huhnke (T) def. Anika Baumgartner 6-4, 6-1
2. Lauren Schlueter (T) def. Lauren Stoltzfus 6-1, 6-3
3. Erin Kwaske (T) def. Maria Thomas 6-1, 6-1
4. Chrissy Uphaus (T) def. Mikayla Adamski 6-1, 6-0
5. Maddie Ruth (G) def. Kaylynne Goeglein 5-7, 6-1, 6-1
6. Alexis Mack (T) def. Rebekah Steiner 7-6(2), 4-6, 10-8
1. Huhnke/ Uphaus (T) def. Baumgartner/ Thomas 8-3
2. Schlueter/ Samantha Willman (T) def. Adamski/ Steiner 8-1
3. Stoltzfus/ Corine Alvarez (G) def. Mack/ Kwaske 8-2