GRAND RAPIDS, Mich. - The Goshen College women's tennis team continues to show improvements, missing out on its first team victory of the season by a single point on Tuesday.
Host Cornerstone University was able to erase a 2-1 deficit after doubles and took four of six doubles matches for a 5-4 win.
"It was a tough 5-4 match," head coach Doug Gossman admitted.
Sophomore Anika Baumgartner and freshman Marian Thomas started the evening by cruising to an 8-1 win at the No. 1 doubles position, their second-straight win at the spot. Then, senior Nikita Zook and freshman Mikayla Adamski rallied from 7-6 down to win the last three games and the match 9-7 at No. 2 doubles.
In singles play, Baumgartner dropped just one game in a 6-0, 6-1 win, her fourth in a row atop the Maple Leaf lineup. Meanwhile, Adamski also cruised, taking her No. 5 match up 6-1, 6-2 to earn her first career singles victory.
After dropping matches at No. 3, No. 4 and No. 6, though, the last contest on the courts (No. 2 singles) would be the deciding factor in a 4-4 tie.
Senior Lauren Stoltzfus was up 5-2 in the first set before falling in a tiebreaker. In the second, though, she was down 5-2 and fought off a couple match points to send it to another tiebreaker. However, Amy Fouty was able to give Cornerstone the team match with a 7-2 tiebreaker win.
Goshen (0-7) are back in action when they host Grace College on Saturday.
Cornerstone 5, Goshen 4
1. Anika Baumgartner (G) def. Heidi Boesl 6-0, 6-1
2. Amy Fouty (CU) def. Lauren Stoltzfus 7-6 (7-3), 7-6 (7-2)
3. Janie Silvers (CU) def. Nikita Zook 6-0, 6-3
4. Carrie Carr (CU) def. Maria Thomas 6-3, 6-3
5. Mikayla Adamski (G) def. Hannah Guest 6-1, 6-2
6. Allison Rusticus (CU) def. Maddie Ruth 6-1, 6-2
1. Anika Baumgartner/Maria Thomas (G) def. Heidi Boesl/Janie Silvers 8-1
2. Mikayla Adamski/Nikita Zook (G) def. Amy Fouty/Hannah Guest 9-7
3. Allison Rusticus/Ashley Greene (CU) def. Rebekah Steiner/Lauren Stoltzfus 8-5