Baumgartner Wins At No. 1 Singles, But Maple Leafs Fall At Taylor
UPLAND, Ind. – Sophomore Anika Baumgartner (Goshen, Ind.) picked up her first singles victory of the season, but it was not enough for the Goshen College women's team to overcome host Taylor University Thursday night.
The Trojans swept doubles play and rolled off straight-set victories at No. 2 through No. 5 singles for an 8-1 Crossroads League victory.
Baumgartner's win, though, was an impressive milestone. She came from a set down to defeat Kelsey Meyer 4-6, 6-2, 10-6 for her sixth career victory at the No. 1 singles position.
"Anika played the best match of her career," head coach Doug Gossman said. "Everyone played well and I was pleased with their effort today."
In doubles, the best match came at the No. 3 position where seniors Lauren Stoltzfus and Rebekah Steiner had a couple game points for a chance to go up 7-6, but were unable to pull out that game and ultimately fell 8-6.
The Maple Leafs (0-4, 0-4 CL) will be back at home when they host Huntington University at 11:00 a.m. Saturday.
Taylor 8, Goshen 1
1. Anika Baumgartner (G) def. Kelsey Meyer 4-6, 6-2, 10-6
2. Kim Henke (T) def. Lauren Stoltzfus 6-1, 6-2
3. Cassie Flemming (T) def. Nikita Zook 6-2, 6-0
4. Kelsey Chow (T) def. Mikayla Adamski 6-2, 6-0
5. Tara Gnagy (T) def. Maddie Ruth 6-1, 6-1
6. Rachel Zandee (T) def. Rebekah Steiner 6-2, 6-0
1. Meyer/ Flemming (T) def. Baumgartner/ Maria Thomas 8-2
2. Henke/ Rachel Kammer (T) def. Zook/ Adamski 8-1
3. Alyssa Inserra/ Caitlin Welch (T) def. Stoltzfus/ Steiner 8-6