GOSHEN, Ind. – The Goshen College Maple Leafs hosted the Saint Francis Cougars at the Goshen College home courts Tuesday night. The Leafs earned their first Crossroads League win of the year, 8-1.
Head Coach Stan King spoke of the night's win, "It's always nice to get a win under our belts, and especially when we were missing some key players in the line up (Jon Kassa, Ryan Wengerd, Vasanthkumar Palanisamy)." King added that "Krishnan Ganesan and Thiago Amaral moved up a position in singles, and Daniel Buschert and Jackson Beck played in the starting line-up for the first time this season."
Despite the changes to the lineup, singles player saw success, winning all but one of their six spots.
King spoke on individual players such as Thiago Amaral at No. 4 who "trailed 3-4 in the first set before winning the last nine games on his way to a 6-4, 6-0 win," as well as Daniel Buschert at No. 5, "Daniel did a good job moving his opponent around the court to win points, before using power to totally dominate him during the last three games."
Goshen went on to sweep doubles play, including a 9-8 (4) tiebreaker at the No. 3 spot. King ended by saying that "to win our match with Taylor on Thursday, a stronger opponent, we'll need to play some very good tennis."
Taylor will head to Goshen (1-1, 1-1 CL) for a 4:00 p.m. match on Thursday.
By: Lexi Kantz
Sports Information Intern
Goshen 8, Saint Francis 1
1. Csaba Laszlo (G) def Ryan Mey 6-0, 6-1
2. Balazs Pirot (G) def Payton Selking 6-2, 6-1
3. Krishnan Ganesan (G) def Tate Dishman 6-2, 3-6, 6-0
4. Thiago Amaral (G) def Spencer Heise 6-4, 6-0
5. Daniel Buschert (G) def Michael Thompson 6-4, 6-4
6. JT Biggs (SF) def Jackson Beck 6-0, 7-6 (6)
1. Csaba Laszlo and Balazs Pirot (G) def. Selking and Dishman 8-1.
2. Krishnan Ganesan and Thiago Amaral (G) def. Mey and Biggs 8-3
3. Daniel Buschert and Jackson Beck (G) def. Heise and Jackson Burkins 9-8 (4).
Seth Krabill (G) def Kyle Andrews 8-0
Krabill/Armando Nunez (G) def Thompson/Andrews 8-2