NORTH MANCHESTER, Ind. – The Goshen College men's tennis team was back in action for the first time since early October competing twice on Saturday. The Maple Leafs played both Transylvania University and host Manchester College falling by scores of 6-3 and 5-4, respectively.
"It was good to play these matches, but unfortunate to only have five players available resulting in the loss of two team points in each match," head coach Stan King explained.
As was the case all fall, Goshen was led by junior Csaba Laszlo (Sopron, Hungary). He dropped a total of only seven games in a pair of straight-set victories at the No. 1 singles spot, while also combining with junior Ryan Wengerd (Goshen, Ind.) for two wins at the top doubles position.
Stepping up a spot from the fall season, sophomore Krishnan Ganesan (Chennai, India) also had a strong day winning twice in singles play and once in doubles.
"Krishnan played some great tennis to win a three setter over Transylvania before beating his Manchester opponent in two," King added. "He and Daniel Buschert also played well together at number two doubles on their way to a win against Manchester."
Those would be the only wins for the Leafs on the day, but Wengerd put up quite a fight in his No. 3 singles match against Transylvania. After losing the first set 6-2, Wengerd battled to a tiebreaker in the second before falling 12-10.
"We had hoped to play a few more matches this spring, but circumstances did not allow that," King concluded. "Several of our players have benefitted from practices the unusually mild weather has allowed this spring."
Manchester 5, Goshen 4
1. Csaba Laszlo (G) def. Piero Ridoutt 6-2, 6-0
2. Krishnan Ganesan (G) def. Phillip Truitt 6-2, 6-1
3. Ramiro Arguijo (M) def. Ryan Wengerd 6-1, 6-4
4. Bobby Swaby (M) def. Daniel Buschert 6-3, 6-3
5. Alex Winger (M) def. Jackson Beck 6-4, 2-6, 10-5
6. Manchester wins by default 1-0, 1-0
1. Laszlo/ Wengerd (G) def. Ridout, Truitt 8-3
2. Ganesan/ Buschert (G) def. Arguijo/ Swaby 8-4
3. Manchester wins by default 1-0
Transylvania 6, Goshen 3
1. Csaba Laszlo (G) def. Keith Henderson 6-1, 6-3
2. Krishnan Ganesan (G) def. Patrick Richardson 3-6, 6-2, 10-8
3. Tyler Pewitt (T) def. Ryan Wengerd 6-2, 7-6 (12-0)
4. Jett Glass (T) def. Daniel Buschert 6-2, 6-3
5. Jordan Evans (T) def. Jackson Beck 6-3, 6-3
6. Kim Pescher (T) wins by default 1-0, 1-0
1. Laszlo/ Wengerd (G) def. Will Palmer/ Henderson 8-6
2. Richardson/ Pewitt (T) def. Ganesan/ Buschert 8-2
3. Glass/ Evans (T) win by default 1-0