Shorthanded Goshen Still Sweeps Through Defiance 9-0
GOSHEN, Ind. - Despite being less than healthy, the Goshen College women's tennis team snapped its six-match winless streak Thursday afternoon with a commanding 9-0 victory over visiting Defiance College.
With typical No. 4 singles player Laura Krabill likely out for the season with a leg injury and Alli Hawkins suffering from flu-like symptoms, the Maple Leafs were shorthanded and banged up. Second-year head coach Doug Gossman was forced to make some change ups to the lineup, but it did not deter his Goshen squad.
The top three in the singles lineup - senior's Rachel Lanctot, Alyssa Dewing, and Hawkins - combined to lose just one game as the Leafs started strong. In new spots in the rotation, senior Chelsea Wampler (No. 4), Lauren Stoltzfus (No. 5) and Nikita Zook (No. 6) also all won in straight sets.
The results were similar in doubles play where Lanctot and Hawkins combined for their second-straight win and fourth overall at No. 2 doubles. Dewing and Stoltzfus played at No. 2 doubles together for the first time and ran away with an 8-1 victory, while Zook and Wampler picked up their second win of the season at No. 3 doubles.
The Maple Leafs host their final Mid-Central College Conference contest of the season when Marian University travels to Goshen on Tuesday. They then finish up the season with matches at Manchester, home against Anderson, and at the St. Joseph College Tournament.
Goshen 9, Defiance 0
1. Rachel Lanctot (G) def. Kirsten Wieland (D) 6-0, 6-1
2. Alyssa Dewing (G) def. Catie Savage (D) 6-0, 6-0
3. Alli Hawkins (G) def. Sammi Stevens (D) 6-0, 6-0
4. Chelsea Wampler (G) def. Nicole Lovins (D) 6-3, 6-0
5. Lauren Stoltzfus (G) def. Tasha Brown (D) 6-1, 6-0
6. Nikita Zook (G) def. Katie Carunchia (D) 6-0, 6-0
1. Lanctot/ Hawkins (G) def. Wieland/ Savage (D) 8-2
2. Dewing/ Stoltzfus (G) def. Stevens/ Lovins (D) 8-1
3. Wampler/ Zook (G) def. Carunchia/ Danielle Labarbera (D) 8-0
Yordnos Zewdie (G) def. Labarbera (D) 6-1
Maddie Ruth (G) def. Labarbera (D) 6-4